Rodolfo C. Estimo Jr.
Published — Saturday 11 July 2015
RIYADH: A total of 8,000 Filipino pilgrims will perform Haj this year, an official of the Consulate General in Jeddah has said.
“The Philippine quota has been increased to 8,000 from 6,500 in the previous year and the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF) is thankful about it,” he said.
Bashir Tomilang, NCMF representative, has already arrived in the Kingdom for coordination and arrangements for the pilgrimage. He met with the service providers for the authentication of contracts on transportation, food catering and accommodation.
“I have also called on the Ministry of Haj officials for the release of the stickers for the pilgrims’ passports,” said Tomilang who had earlier worked with the consulate.
Tomilang expressed satisfaction regarding the Kingdom’s preparations for Haj.
Another NCMF representative, Norodin Lomondot, had earlier come to the Kingdom to coordinate with Saudi authorities regarding the Filipino pilgrims’ trip to the Kingdom.
He said that the first batch of Filipino pilgrims is expected to arrive in the third week of August, although no delegation head had been named so far.
Last year, the Filipino pilgrims were headed by NCMF Secretary Yasmin Busran-Lao.