An overseas Filipino worker who was assaulted in Saudi Arabia earlier this year has been released from a hospital and is due for repatriation soon, the Philippine embassy there said Wednesday.
In a news release, the embassy identified the OFW as McCormick Rabina, who it said had partially settled his medical bills at the Saudi German Hospital in Riyadh.
“[Rabina] is due for repatriation after the Philippine government, through the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, settled partially his medical bills at the Saudi German Hospital,” it said.
The OFW had been confined at the hospital for several months after he was assaulted by men after his work shift.
Rabina was released from the hospital November 9 and was accommodated by the Embassy.
He visited the Philippine Embassy Tuesday and relayed to Ambassador Ezzedin Tago, Consul General Marshall Louis Alferez, Consul Redentor Genotiva and Attache Omar Pandapatan his thanks to the Philippine government for helping him settle his bills.
The embassy also said Rabina had belied earlier reports that he was a victim of rape.
“He confirmed that even the hospital medical reports do not indicate such thing occurred,” the embassy said.
For its part, the Embassy reminded Filipinos in the Kingdom to “take precautions and exercise good judgment in their movements and who they meet on their private time in order to ensure their safety and to avoid risky, life-threatening and dangerous situations.”
(Source: Joel Locsin/KBK, GMA News)